Cardboard Factory Nierfeld
The cardboard factory Nierfeld
in Schleiden-Nierfeld was founded in the year 1875 by Joseph Haas. He was also
the owner of the firm Kattwinkel in Schleiden-Mauel.
In the year of the foundation the cardboard factory Nierfeld obtained the water rights, an important presupposition for the production of groundwood pulp board. Only now it was possible to equip a water-wheel. This made it possible to install transmissions - consisting of shafts and cog-wheels made of wood - which were able to set the enormous millstones in motion. The millstones ground the wood. The wood cut was sold in whet state. The setting up of the wood-grinding plant in the Eifel Valley was herewith carried out.
Moreover the water was also used for purposes of production. Operation, however, was only possible when there was water, that is during seasons with scarcity of water the whole staff worked in agriculture.
In 1918 the concern was taken over by the firm Ernst Schäfer AG. Two sawmills in the neighbourhood also belonged to that firm.
In 1923 the water-wheel was replaced with a twin turbine. With its help a transmission was set in motion, from which the energy was led to the different machines by means of driving belts.
At the beginning of the thirties the taking over was carried out by Mister Joseph Piront. In about 1932 a steam engine was installed. Only with that machine the operation could go on and diverse sheets of cardboard were dried by means of steam. If that was not possible the diverse sheets were hung up by hand for drying on the so called drying frame.
On the 10th of November 1957 the whole concern was taken over and reconstructed by the son Rolf Werner Piront. As too little water-power was available and the costs for energy were getting too high he installed a fully automatic cardboard machine. Now that machine did not produce groundwood pulp board any more but recycled waste paper (raw-material basis) to greyboard.
In the ensuing years the production of cardboard was given up by the firms Oswald Mattheis, the wood material- and leather cardboard factory Luis as well as by the cardboard factory Kattwinkel. All three firms were not able any longer to meet the expenses for the conditioning of the water clarification.
In the late eighties in the Eifel Valley only the cardboard factory Nierfeld succeeded in constructing a closed circulatory system with sewage-works so that waste-water was no longer led into the Olef River. For reasons of environmental conservation an additional safety device was built in, for the cardboard factory Nierfeld took part in the erection of the sewage plant of Schleiden-Gemünd in order to make sure that in case of technical defects in the own sewage plant the accrued waste-water can be led into the public sewage plant.
In 1993 the concern
was taken over to the Uhlmann Family. Today like in former times greyboard
products are made without any addition of aids and appliances on the part
of others, so that quite rightly can be said that the cardboard factory Nierfeld
is a one hundred percent non-polluting enterprise.